Budapest places of religion
(Református templom, IX., Kálvin tér 7.)
A symbol of the Hungarian Reformed Church. Built in Classicist
style in 1816-1830. The Calvin Room in the west wing features stained glass windows by Miksa Róth, depicting the key personalities of the church. 17-19th c. silver and goldsmith pieces in the Treasury.
Only group visits are arranged upon prior appointment.
M3, Tram 47, 49
HUNGARIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
(Magyar ortodox templom, V, Petőfi tér 2/B..)
Built upon the commission of Greek and Macedonian merchant families that settled down in Pest in 1791-1801, facade rebuilt in the 19th c.
A large hall church with a fabulous iconostas opens up from the parvis. 18th and 19th c. tombstones in the garden, a former cemetery. Services are still held in the Orthodox fashion, but in Hungarian language.
Bus 112, Tram 2
ST. STEPHEN'S BASILICA
(Szent István-bazilika, V., Szent István tér.)
The construction of the largest church of the capital (seating 8,500 persons) was full of vicissitudes.
No sooner did the groundwork begin when the War of Independence broke out in 1848, then construction was resumed in 1851, followed by the immediate death of the two architects, and even the dome collapsed during the works.
The church with a Greek cross plan was finally
consecrated in 1905, and in 1931 it was awarded the title 'basilica minor' by
the Holy Seat. It is 86 m long, 55 m wide, with an area of 4,147 sq. m, and the
dome is 96 m high (just as that of Parliament building).
The right tower houses the country's biggest bell of 9 tonnes. The right hand of Stephen I, the first Hungarian King, the Holy Right is kept here, which is paraded by the faithful each 20th August. St. Stephen's skull relic is also displayed here until 20th August, 2001. 19th c. ecclesiastical objects in the Treasury. The dome provides
great views of the city (elevátort-137 steps)
M3 Arany János utca
(Zsinagóga, VII., Dohány u. 2-8.)
Built in 1854-59, it is the world's second largest and
Europe's largest synagogue, with a seating capacity of 3,000. The Romantic style is strongly mixed with Byzantine and Moorish elements.
The two onion-domes are
43 meter high, and even the French composer Saint-Saéns played the organ there.
Adjoining to the fully restored building is the Hall Of Heroes, where the Monument of Hungarian Jewish Martyrs was erected in 1991. The Jewish Museum is next door.
The concerts held in the synagogue are truly special. (It should be
noted here what few people in Budapest know that a plaque on a house in
Wesselényi utca, near the synagogue, indicates that Theodor Herzl, the founder
of modern Zionism was born there.)
Open: Mon-Fri 10.00-15.00, Sun 10.00-13.00
Services: Fri 18.00, Sa 09.00
M1 M2 M3 Deák tér Tram 47, 49 BUS 7, 7/A, 78 Trolley bus 74
INNER CITY PARISH CHURCH
(Belvárosi plébániatemplom, V, Március 15. tér.)
Oldest building in Pest. Although the register dates back to 1688, a Roman style cathedral stood here in the late 12th c, which was destroyed by the Mongol invaders.
Current dimensions date back to the 14th c. The Turks
converted it into a mosque, the memory of which a mihrab, a prayer niche is in
the chancel. This was the only Christian church after the Sultan had built
mosques. Burnt down in 1723, rebuilt in Baroque in the 18th c. The most
beautiful part is the Gothic chancel.
M3 Ferenciek tere BUS 7, red 7-173, 7/A, 78 Tram 2
(Evangélikus templom, V, Deák Ferenc tér 5.)
The Classicist church was built in 1799-1808. A plaque on the
facade tells that Lajos Kossuth, the great Hungarian statesman had his sons baptised here. Few people know that the adjoining National Lutheran Museum keeps the original will of Martin Luther from 1542.
The church is open during services only, Sun 0900, 1100 and 1800.
(Mátyás-templom, I., Szentháromság tér.)
Officially called the Church of Our Lady, the church is named after the main donor King Matthias, who got married here twice. This symbol of the city was built in the 13th-15th c. in Gothic style.
When the Turks occupied Buda in 1541, it was turned into a mosque and the frescoes whitewashed. After the retaking of Buda, it went to the Jesuits, who made Baroque alterations.
Became a parish church after 1773. Restored in the second half of the 19th c.
and rebuilt in neo-Gothic style. Except during services, the church is open
throughout the year, Mon-Sat 1000-1700, Sun 1300-1700.
Masses Mon-Fri 0830-0900
and 1200-1230, Sun 0830-0930 and 1200-1230.
You can see a stone collection, a relic collection, replicas of the coronation regalia, a Hospitaller Chapel, and a fine collection of goldsmiths' masterpieces in the treasury. The magnificent acoustics make it into a popular concert venue.
Open: daily 0930-1730. Closed: mid Jan-mid Feb
Bus 16 (Várbusz)
PEST FRANCISCAN CHURCH
(Pesti ferences templom, V., Ferenciek tere 2.)
A church stood here already in 1260. The high mass was
celebrated here when King Andrew III was crowned in 1290.
In the 16th c. the Turks converted it to a mosque, and after the town had been taken back the Franciscan monks held the services in the Muslim church for several decades. The current building was erected in 1727-1743. The interior replicates the layout of the Jesuit Gesu II church in Rome.
Several of the frescos were painted for Hungary's Millennium celebrations (1896). A plaque on the first bench on the right-hand side, close to the pulpit, commemorates Franz Liszt, who lived in the monastery for a time.
M3 Ferenciek tere BUS 7, red 7-173, 7/A, 78 Tram 2
Search our entire site!
Locust Tree Apartments, self-catering apartments in Budapest
Instant hotel search
Fixed prices, pick-up service, exclusive transportation directly to your hotel, or to any address in Budapest.